Pages

Thursday 27 November 2014

Creed Singer Scott Stapp’s Fall From Grace: From 40 Million Albums Sold to Living in a Holiday Inn


Enraged Bull Leaps into crowd by mohammadkamranrao
The rocker posted a rambling video on his Facebook page claiming he's broke and penniless. He also says the CIA and DEA are after him.
In the ballad “My Own Prison,” the first major hit from the Christian rock band Creed, singer Scott Stapp summoned his best Eddie Vedder impression and crooned, “I cry out to God / Seeking only his decision / Gabriel stands and confirms / I’ve created my own prison.”
Creed would go on to sell 40 million albums worldwide, earning it the distinction of being the ninth biggest-selling band of the ’90s, and took home a Grammy Award in 2001 for the tune “With Arms Wide Open.” But the band became a Nickelback-esque pop culture punch-line, derided for its shameless fusion of power balladry and Christian dogma, which was augmented by Stapp’s Jesus-like appearance, complete with shoulder-length brown hair and striking eyes.
Take a 2000 episode of the zeitgeisty sitcom Gilmore Girls, in which Brian (played by John Cabrera) is being grilled by his pals about being devout while still rocking out. “But no way are we playing Creed, man,” says one of his friends. “That’s where we draw the line,” replies another.
“Right now, I’m living in a Holiday Inn by the grace of God, because there’s been a couple of weeks that I’ve had to sleep in my truck,” said Stapp.
The constant derision seems to have gotten to the group’s frontman. In a disturbing, grainy video posted late Tuesday night on Facebook, a haggard-looking Stapp issued what he called “Public Statement #1,” addressing what he calls the “slanderous, libelous rumors over the last few weeks,” including a death hoax, allegations of drug use, and rehab rumors.

“I’m sober as can be,” said Stapp, 41. Eight weeks ago, he said, he began an audit of his finances and his record label, and discovered that “a lot of money was stolen from me, or royalties not paid, and that’s when all hell began to break loose.”
Stapp added, “In the last few years, I’ve rededicated myself to Christ.” He teared up talking about his young son Jagger, who he says is being hurt by all the rumors. “I want my son to know, Jagger, that your dad is sober. No drugs, and no alcohol. This is a vicious attack…over the last four or five weeks, all of a sudden the IRS has frozen my bank accounts two or three times to leave me completely penniless.”

No comments:

Post a Comment